Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Thai northern trip



15th November 2006-Thailand

Nearly two lunar new years quietly passed and toured around Thailand into most provinces to discover Thai culture and its language. I all in all felt into a new society without any reason of awareness. Until now, I have been taking a lot of chances to better me for any tip top future achievement.

I did behave so silly when my instructor and classmates welcomed me for a participation in the field trip to the Northwestern area of Thailand, and I answered my friend and instructor is because of not wanting to go, and that trip might make me tired. However, the simplest reason I would have to pay a lot of fees for our private trip. Actually,I have been sad and headache for a few days because I only pretended my teacher and classmates about that reason. In fact, I didn’t have enough money for living next more 3 months. I only knew to ask myself without understanding and sharing from anyone. At that time I tried to ignore all, and decided not to join with my classmates for the Northern trip.

For my family, the cost for the overseas university study is very expensive. I know that I got a full scholarship to pay for tuition fee, but I have to aid by myself for any allowance. My family's economic condition doesn’t permit me to spend over because my Mom is the only bread-winner in our family, and I am an unlucky man when I was born also coincided the date my father passed away as an unknown reason. Also, my Mom, she is only a local Vet and works in the local center with a few facilities, her income is quite low, only enough for raising us in Vietnam without the capacity to support us to study further, especially abroad.

Marvelously, at the most disappointed time was when I got any difficulty, drawback and doubt about the financial problem. I luckily had the great teachers and friends; they listened to my story and were affectionate to my circumstances. Finally, they understood reasons why I didn’t want to travel with them .But my respected teacher really would like to know further about that and found anyway to ask me sincerely. As a result, I expressed anything to him, and then he understood me more .And I only wished him to permit me for a course of absence in that field trip to my class. I seemed to burst into crying when I answered that I did not have enough money as my Mom couldn’t meet that instant amount of money, my God! Immediately he told me that let him think about that problem later. After that, he secretly met up with my secretary of my class. The day after that day when I met the secretary, she noticed that teacher wanted me to go with the class, so he paid all of fees for me instead. I was unbelievably surprised when I heard that news from her. She said that she needed my final decision that was whether I went or not.

After some twice-thought days, I asked my other teachers, my Mom and friends about Instructor’s help. They advised me to accept his notable help and I could reply him by the way when I will have been successful to be able to have the strong financial capacity and then response my gratitude to him, I can do that later. Consequently, I accepted his sincere help, and I promised myself that I would have to afford the best to get my tip-top dream and go back in order to return him that I owe him, thank my dear teacher so much for your best kind, my great teacher!

The field trip
7th November 2006

I really would like to write something for memory of our travel to some Northwestern provinces. Coming back to my university, I immediately picked a pen up to write something unforgettable about that wonderful trip.

I was really eager to have a four days and three nights trip with our classmates and teacher to some Northwestern provinces of Thailand. We started the trip from the midnight of the 7th of November 2007. I was absolutely exhausted as a hard day of the busy schoolwork and the hectic preparation for our trip. We took 5 hours to get Chiangmai Province during a night sleep on the bus. I was almost sleepless and thoughtful on that first route that we went through Lampang and Lampung Province. The reason is that I intended to awake to directly witness the beautiful and strange scenery of the first expressway on hillsides to Chiangmai Province of Thailand. About 6 am we got in Chiangmai downtown and then checked in a mini hotel (Inn house). But it was quite comfortable; our room was large enough for 6 guys. After we had a delicious breakfast at that near market, and then we were going to the first destination is The Royal Floral Ratchaphuek 2006. We spent a day there to tour around a campus of that Festival ,I was impressed so much about this destination because I didn’t only witness a Thai developing agriculture , horticulture, but I also saw a few international workshops and houses over there ,certainly it was inclusive of Vietnamese show.

At that place , I collected the further knowledge for my expertise more .Actually, whenever I travel alone or with my group I am always curious to ask myself about so many questions that arisen from the destination spot. I may be angry and disappointed if I travel without understanding and picking up anything for my own.

Until 6pm of the same day, we went back to the inn-house to relax and do some individual business, and then we went to Khantoke Party in the downtown at 7.30pm .That is an old Chiangmai culture center, I liked that place myself so much as it is a rich in culture destination to Thais and international visitors for the self. This model reminded me of my homeland province in Vietnam, Bacninh City. It is cradle of culture and handicraft of the northern areas of Vietnam, and I might a bit like to compare with Chiangmai province of Thailand to show you about the similarity of two destinations of two far countries. The Thais developed the phrase “package tour” so excellent, they might build model of bettering the local and regional tourism.
Each Province authorizes to strengthen their dominant factor, and it seemed that they went on the right way of tourism attraction such as developing tourism is to build sustainable the sites of society, environment and destination. It might be surely that they combined each destination in common strategy and policy of Tourism Authority of Thailand. All harmonized the domestic and foreign guests, and we are also easy to understand the reason why Thailand shifted itself as an ideal hub of Asian destinations.

9th November 2006

For a night in the inn house in Chiangmai, we had to get up early to start a new destination. After we had a good breakfast, about 9am our bus went through a street that named Shinawatra, this name originated from the family name of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra because it was the birthplace of him. And then, we presented in a handicraft market that specialized in producing the handmade traditional umbrellas, as I knew that it might be a unique place for producing the handmade umbrella in Thailand. I was witnessed directly handicraftsman who showed me their skilled hands to paint some pictures and something that guests want to have on their clothes and umbrellas. Only after a few minutes guests could have their demanding products. Especially, my teacher had them painted a flying eagle behind his jacket .We spent almost one a half hour there and until nearly 11am we could start our next destination is Mesai border market that is a border-cross point between Thailand and Burma in Chiangrai Province.

When we reached up to there, most of us were exhausted as lack of sleep and spent a long daytime on bus. I saw so crowed that our bus couldn’t park a convenient place for us, and we had to walk to reach up to the border market. And then, we divided into many small groups, for me I went with my teacher and some of my friends. When we got next to the bridge between Thailand and Burma I was eager to cross that bridge to get Burma for going shopping cheaper with my teacher and mates. Too crowded it was, my God, I had to hold my teacher’s hand in case I would loss the way.

I asked my teacher for permission to cross that bridge, he was reluctant to make decision to permit us whether crossed or not ,and then he finally agreed for us to cross the bridge with each other and him, but all had to apply for any crossing procedure, and from that time anything happened to me.

In Maesai Town, I had a big problem about my visa to enter Burma, because reason was I didn’t know the visa procedure to depart from Thai to another country. Moreover, the staffs’ English level in Thai and Burmese Immigration Office is unacceptable; they didn’t speak English in any understandable extension. So, I got into trouble about how to pay money for all crossing border procedures. When I departed from Thailand and got the starting point of Burma, they required me to show them my passport. They didn’t tell me before I got at checking in point of Thailand, it means that I had to have applied for a re-entry visa to come back to Thailand. Unfortunately, they only required me to pay Baht 500 for the crossing cost and reminded me not stayed exceed one hour without explaining for my anything else. My God! Anything started to happen! I reached up to Burma easily and I only toured a bit around Border market of Burma and walked to see some buildings and lifestyle of Burmese, but not enough time to find out, when I saw my watch and realized that the binding time is up, so anyway I had to come back to Thailand soon. But, it was a worst terrible problem happened to me, certainly, I could go through Burmese Immigration Office easily, but, my God! I couldn’t get into Thailand because the above reason .They said they needed Baht 1000 immediately to make a re-entry visa for me as soon as possible and might not fire me any more. Actually, I had no big money like that; my teacher had to take care of me during my trip. I lost connection with my teacher and friends because of the low battery of my mobile phone. At that time I had no connection, help and money, I asked and prayed God how I could surpass this, and I only knew to keep calm down to find the way to persuade Immigration official for an exceptive case. I tried to persuade her in English and Thai as well, and then she answered me that she understood my circumstances and was trying to find way to help me also. And finally when I heard the news from her, I felt that my heart seems to be put neatly at the same place where it is. The time I was waiting the final decision from the head of Thai Immigration Office, luckily my friend saw me and called in hope, because they had also been finding for me. And they ran up with me and encouraged me to surpass all. I seemed to have had more energy to be calm down and wait for the final result that whatever it would happen to me, I should accept and be calm down to get over.

Fortunately, great to hear from the official’s inform is they had canceled all procedures that I went to Burma .It seemed that they used a flexible law to implement on my case. I burnt into crying in happiness with my friends, I said thanks to my friends because in the most difficult time I met, they helped me to plumb more belief and courage for me to overcome all. And, I knew that God blessed me so much for my kindly praise to him. Finally, I could come back to Thailand again, Hiii! Because I departed from it so many times already. All of my friends and teacher were worry so much about me , they had been waiting for me about more 1 hour late .Until 7 pm ,we could go back to the downtown of Chiangrai province. And then, on the way back to our inn house, we had dinner and went shopping in Bazza town of Chiangrai.This town is very busy and beautiful as a Hongkong town in Chiangrai ,it surprised me so much. It generated enough a luxurious attraction for tourists; I and my teacher went shopping together and watched the Thai traditional show art near that place. I witnessed a lot of domestic and foreign tourists there; it was unbelievable it was too hectic and crowded people there. In the end, we had to back to the in house because it was late and all of us were almost tired, and then we checked in an inn house near there.

I had a hard excited day in Maesai Town and a poetic beautiful night together with my friends. All of us, 7 men staying together only to chit-chat and find some soft and strong beverage to drink. We drank together a kind of Thai Chang beer, played guitar, and sang Thai and Vietnamese song together. I definitely seemed to have forgotten the unluckiness of that day and immersed in the melodious rhythm of guitar and sound of Thai beautiful song lyrics. We together sang and drank so fantastic and meaningful day.

10th November 2006

We got up early on that morning to prepare to check out of that inn-house and went to the nearest restaurant. After we had finished a delicious breakfast as usual at 9 am and toured and walked around the memorial of a Thai hero in chiangrai town center and we took a lot of photographs together there. This place is nice to live as the weather is definitely cool, the road cross is facilitated with the modern traffic light system and the highway is really good for transportation. Until the midday we mostly could go to a Meaphaluong farm of Chiangrai province. That is a quiet, fresh, clean and beautiful place to visit, built by the Majesty King’s Mother. During a time the guider of that farm explained everything in Thai language that a bit hindered me from understanding clearly; I understood a bit throughout that place about 50%.So, now it is a big difficulty for me to retell further information in my diary.

After we had got visit at the Mephaluong Farm. Until the afternoon of that same day, about 2pm .Our bus parked at a nearest supermarket and had lunch together inside of the block of that supermarket (Big C). I was usually treated by my teacher. It seems to be a restaurant following a cafeteria style and I felt that it was convenient to choose the demanding food. And, I had an extremely full lunch with my teacher who took care of me during that trip. We spent about 1 hour there to finish lunch time and went shopping some commodities for our coming destination –Phuichipha. I and my teacher together chose some necessary goods to use on the mountain of Phuichipha such as the meat ball-lukchin, the soul pork skin and meat- nemnuong,some kinds of beverage.

We left that supermarket at about 3.30pm and arrived in Phuichipha. I was excited to see that place that my teacher and my friends told me that it was very cold and spectacular , included by the overwhelming mountains . It reminded me of the Sapa mountains in Sapa city in Vietnam. I liked that place so much because of its cold weather and natural beauty, and sometimes it was dropping snow down there. I only thought of that place I felt as immersed in real scenery of mountainous beauty and my heart seemly had been dictated to back to the remote area of the wild life. And, reason why I was eager to wait for that place during that trip. We got through the high hillsides and others, even if the road was not rough but very smooth for our bus to drive over. I again compared a bit about the transportation accessibility for destination in Thailand is much better than Vietnam because the roads’ quality is wonderful, and I started to learn from the small thing to big thing of destination quality in anyplace of Thailand. Through there I raised a lot of questions for my experience about tourism strategy in the future for our country’s tourism promotion Now, we hardly competed with Thailand, but I believed myself that one day Vietnam should do good and even better than Thailand, it will be a hard challenge for Vietnamese tourist policymakers to know of.

Our bus arrived there at the end of late day; the sky was all in all turning into its dark. Our team got down from the bus and frontward is a small campsite on the hillside Phuichipha mountains. After we had received the individual tent and arranged anything in order. The time was 7 pm because the weather there was very cold, so not the same usual, I couldn’t take a bath in that night and went instantly to the center town near our lodging. We had dinner there, but I was really angry with the service style of that restaurant because we had to wait for nearly 45 minutes after that we could get our order.Especillly, the food there was not delicious but expensive as I was living in Hawaii state of the USA.

At the night of the same day, we came back to our campsite about 9pm and immediately started to have a barbecue party with all of our peers and teacher. I and my teacher prepared to fire the wood coal to roast the very several of commodity. It seemed to have been a luxurious party I thought. I put my hands down to help to help my friends together, and then we both was roasting the meat, shrimp balls and drank ,sang and played guitar under the fire burning with the good smell come from the toasted meat ball stick. All stayed until 1am to drink more such as some kind of beer and alcohol. I was impressed so much as my teacher had some fun stories together with his sense of humor, and he acted as a professional tourist guider for a package tour. It was luck to us because we really immersed in that field trip and learned the fact experience, too.

11th November 2006

After a cheer and fully meaningful night with my peers and dear teacher. I slept at 1.30 am and had to wake up at 4 am. As schedule, we were going to watch the dawn sun about 5 o’clock of early morning on 11th November 2006.We left campsite about 4.30 and took the long mountainous road to there, and then we had to walk about 1 km of the mountainous road, too. I seemed to be exhausted as the last night and lack of sleep, but I encouraged me to be to try my best to find out the things I was going to be watched just after a while of climbing the mountainous road. Finally, we got stayed on the highest top of mountain and chose a appropriate seat for watching the dawn sun. I witnessed so crowded people and the dark was still coving the surroundings, it was really beautiful and poetic scenery I have ever seen. And, the fist time I witnessed how fantastic the dawn sun is, and the climate there was still cold I had to wear a lot of clothes. And then, we finished watching and came back to campsite.
We left Phuichipha at 8.30 am and had breakfast at 9.30 in the downtown of Chiangrai Province, and then we arrived in Phayao province. This place is also the last destination of our trip to the northern area of Thailand. Our bus parked at the Wat Phra Keo Pagoda Phayao,I visited a bit and came back to my bus, this province is not richer than Chiangrai Province ,but through there I understood more about a new destination of Thailand that I would like to keep constantly visiting if possible.

On the way back to our university, our bus parked in the souvenir shop and restaurant. I bought Mu gio Thai and something else to give my roommates. And then we took about 5 hours to arrive at Naresuan University and finished an unforgettable meaningful long trip

Finally, the above has shown you that It was fantastic trip with all of my good peers and dear teacher. I really would like to write this diary line with the hope to be able to keep it permanently, but more important it is a diary page about the feelings and helps that my respected teacher and classmates brought to me. In last words, I wished best of luck to my teacher and friends on the Christmas season and a happy new year. Thank great my helpers for your kind.

My own feedback on this excursion (the moment of truth)

The positive site of the Thai northwestern trip

“The field trip to the Northwestern provinces was an extremely good and amazing experience for me. It was really educational to observe the pressing and beautiful destinations of some northernmost provinces and cross-border area (Measai Town) between Thailand and Burma. Also, To learn more about Thai Northwestern culture, horticulture, environment and socio-economics. It was absolutely interesting to interact in group with our classmates, so that I partially might understand more about them and learn from them so much about their own lives experiences. Especially, I was extremely impressed by my teacher’s help and sympathy. He tried the best to help me have that trip, and our classmates also encouraged and enthusiastically helped me during that trip.

It was fantastic to meet up with the ethnic group on the mountainous block of Phuichipha, and we warmly lodged inside campsite area of the Phuichipha hillside, and a favorite barbecue being so amazing at that night. In addition, I had a more chance as immersed in that package tour held by my dear teacher, who was an excellent organizer of package tour that he brought to us, and I actually learned some from my teacher’s tourist guide experiences. What’s more, the northwestern trip might be a firstly kingly lesson of fact to me. And, that was a meaningful trip during the time I have been living in Thailand. Certainly, it will work for my future job at the same field. After that trip, I am now more knowledgeable and have been considering how I can learn from that trip to apply for my expertise then in order to better and even the best for my future career”.

The negative site.

It may belong to the Thai culture, but through my experience and knowledge I would like to write out my negative ideas for this trip as an objective idea of a foreign student studying at the NUIC.

“Firstly, I felt that our classmates didn’t really unify with each other to be one group that might have had more fun and shared experiences.
Secondly, it seemed that very few people raised all necessary and important questions within each destination.
Thirdly, the above idea has appeared that they might have traveled just for relaxing and saying “Sa pai sa pai” without having gained the full knowledge for each attraction.
Fourthly, that was a field trip for the students of international school who have been studying tourism management in English, and certainly English should be used by instructor or guiders during travel itinerary in a more efficient way.
Fifthly, the inn-house of the second night was not really good to stay.
Finally, it was in the need to have the stable schedule of travel itinerary and questionnaires that printed out to hand up to each student who should be responsible for giving their own feedbacks, so that they might know before destinations and alert anything before, such as: climate, terrain,food,resident people and questions to ask etc. All paperworks should be typed in English version”.Thanks !!!

Author: Son Tran Viet (Mason)-Vietnam

ID. No 48762665

Hospitality and Tourist Manangement
BA. Hanoi University of Foreign Studies –Vietnam
BBA.Naresuan University International College
Thailand
Tel: 066.58782874



No comments: